Atlanta Vehicular Manslaughter Attorney
Vehicular Manslaughter in Georgia
In Georgia, vehicular manslaughter is known as homicide by vehicle.
Homicide by vehicle is defined in Title 40 of the Georgia Code (O.C.G.A § 40-6-393). Depending on the particular circumstances of an incident, individuals may face a homicide by vehicle charge for any number of reasons. In addition, these circumstances may also influence the severity of the charge.
This is an incident where a person causes the death of:
- Another driver, passenger
- Other individual through the negligent operation of a vehicle
For example, leaving the scene of an accident in which another person suffers fatal injuries during or after the incident is punishable by a first-degree felony. Similarly, being arrested for DUI in relation to a homicide by vehicle charge may also increase the severity of the conviction and punishments.
Our Atlanta DUI Attorneys Can Help
At Weintraub & Alper Legal, our Atlanta DUI attorneys have helped many clients who thought they had run out of options. Our firm has handled over one thousand DUI cases—we can take on some of the most complex legal issues in matters of all kinds. If you are looking for a positive resolution in your DUI case, trust a firm with 40+ years of collective experience.
Our award-winning legal team is here to help. Contact our firm today and take the first step!
Vehicular Manslaughter Penalties
Vehicular manslaughter with charge of DUI is considered one of the most serious offenses.
- First-Degree Felony: If you have been arrested for causing the death of another individual while intoxicated or impaired, you may be charged with a first-degree felony. This is punishable by a jail sentence of 3 to 15 years. If you have previous criminal violations, you could face as much as 20 years in prison.
- Fines & Driver's License Suspension: Jail time is only one of several punishments in DUI-related offenses. You may also face thousands of dollars in fines and suspension of your driver's license.
- Employment Opportunities: In total, a DUI homicide by vehicle can severely impede your employment opportunities and your overall livelihood.
Do not face these charges alone—consult an Atlanta DUI lawyer that is capable of protecting your rights in court!
A DUI arrest does not guarantee a conviction, and with the right defense, you may be able to avoid the penalties. Our DUI defense team has years of experience tackling DUI cases of all kinds. It pays to know both sides of the courtroom, and as former prosecutors, our DUI lawyers in Atlanta have the knowledge and skills necessary for exposing weaknesses in the prosecution's case. Do not suffer criminal punishments that you do not deserve!