Fake ID Laws in Georgia
Under Georgia law, it is illegal to use a fake ID that belongs to another individual, is a forgery, and/or has falsified information. Most fake ID offenses are considered misdemeanors, but if you are charged with distribution of false government documents you can be charged with a felony.
Many people think that using a fake identification card (ID) is not a serious issue. Some underage persons use fake IDs to sit at the bar with their friends who are of age and others use these cards as a way of purchasing alcohol from the grocery store. However, using a fake ID can lead to severe legal consequences and even land you in jail.
If you have been charged with falsifying your identification, call our experienced attorneys today at (404) 907-1536.
Georgia Fake ID Penalties
In most cases, law enforcement will punish the conduct of misrepresenting your identity in two different ways. You may be charged for falsifying your identity. Secondly, you can be punished for tampering with or falsifying another person’s ID.
Below is a list of consequences you may face if you are caught using a fake identification card:
1. You can be convicted of a felony.
- While this may be considered a misdemeanor charge in some states, using a false ID can lead to a felony conviction in others. Additionally, any acts connected to the fake ID, such as an underage person purchasing alcohol, can result in a felony charge, as well. If a person uses a fake ID to purchase a firearm, he/she will most likely be charged with a felony.
2. You can face fraud charges.
- You can be charged different types of fraud depending on how you use the fake ID. Law enforcement officers can explore the crime you attempted or did commit and use that against you. This may add additional penalties, aside from possession of the fake identification card.
3. Your license may be revoked.
- In some states, using a fake identification card can result in your driver’s license being taken away. Law enforcement agencies can argue that you provided false information about yourself at the time of arrest.
4. Your criminal record may be affected.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are caught using a fake ID, your permanent record may be affected. This could pose difficulties for job applications, school applications, and other matters that can affect the rest of your life. If you are caught using a fake ID and are convicted while under the age of 18, you may be able to have that juvenile conviction expunged.
5. You can become a victim of identity theft.
- If you have supplied personal identifying information about yourself when ordering or purchasing a fake ID, you are at risk of becoming a victim of identity theft, which is illegal.
If You Are Caught Using a Fake Identification Card
The penalties for purchasing, owning, or using a fake ID can be severe and costly. That is why it is important to seek immediate, experienced legal representation if you have been charged with such a crime. The team at The Law Offices of Howard J. Weintraub, P.C. understand the intricacies of such cases and may be able to have your charges reduced or dismissed. Our firm is comprised of aggressive and relentless criminal defense lawyers who are ready to defend you.
Do not wait. When your rights are on the line, let us fight for you. Contact the Atlanta criminal defense lawyers from The Law Offices of Howard J. Weintraub, P.C. today!