Separation and divorce are never easy situations. Oftentimes, these situations are problematized when shared children are involved. During separation processes, parents must decipher who will have primary custody, if the two will have shared custody, and the amount of visitation one parent is allowed, if needed. Unfortunately, these occurrences can become tough if the separating parent are not cordial or in agreement when solidified decisions.
One situation that may be more common than you think is when one parent accuses the other of kidnapping. Although the child may be comfortable with both parents, various custody regulations dictate when a parent is allowed to visit or see his/her child. Below are facts to help you understand more about parental kidnapping.
- Parental kidnapping usually occurs when one parent deprives the other parent of his/her rights to custody or visitation.
- Oftentimes, this occurs when one parent takes the child out of jurisdiction. This can happen when a parents flees the state with the child.
- Parental kidnapping laws differ from state to states
- Parental kidnapping cases may involve state or federal laws
- Many parental kidnapping disputes end with a restraining order on one parent.
Why You Need to Seek Legal Representation
If your ex-spouse has filed a parental kidnapping claim against you, it is important to seek legal representation right away. If convicted, you can face serious charges such as extremely lengthy jail sentences, fines, loss of visitation rights, and more.
The Georgia criminal defense lawyers at Weintraub & Alper Legal. understand the complexities of such charges and may be able to do everything in our power to help you through your case. We understand that separation and divorce are difficult and that your intention may be in the right place. For this reason, we fight for parents facing kidnapping charges to see that charges are reduced of dismissed. We can look at your case and formulate a strategy that may protect your rights.
When your rights are at stake, you need honest and aggressive representation. Call the Georgia criminal defense attorneys from our firm today!