In Georgia, domestic violence is classified as an act of “family violence.” Domestic violence is a serious offense that comes with severe penalties. If you have been accused of domestic violence in Atlanta, it is in your best interests to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who knows what it takes to protect your rights and fight for a favorable outcome.
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence may be committed against a past or present spouse, a boyfriend or girlfriend, a child, a parent, or other members of the same household, and may include physical injury, threats of physical injury, emotional abuse, stalking, and other forms of harassment.
Depending on the facts of the case, a person accused of this offense may face either misdemeanor or felony charges, the penalties for which may include jail time, steep fines, probation, counseling, and anger management courses. Additionally, a domestic violence conviction on an individual’s record can result in a loss of reputation that may make it difficult to find employment or a place to live, obtain a loan to go back to school, open up a line of credit, and more.
There are potential defenses against domestic violence charges that may be applied to certain cases. These include:
- Deliberately false accusations. Some allegations are made out of spite. This is especially common in divorce or child custody cases.
- Wrong suspect. A suspect may be able to prove that it was someone else who committed the abuse by presenting a reliable alibi.
- Lack of proof. A defendant cannot be convicted of a crime if the prosecution cannot meet the required burden of proof.
- Self-defense. A claim of self-defense may be successful if the defendant reasonably perceived a threat, was not the initial aggressor, and had a proportional response.
Speak with an Atlanta Criminal Lawyer at Our Firm
Domestic violence is taken very seriously in Georgia. If you are being accused of this offense, you should take immediate action to protect yourself by contacting an Atlanta criminal defense lawyer at The Law Offices of Howard J. Weintraub, P.C.
Why Choose Attorney Howard J. Weintraub?
- AV-Preeminent Rating with Martindale-Hubbell®
- 10.0 “Superb” rating with Avvo
- Protecting the rights of the accused since 1985
- Experience as a former federal prosecutor
- Commendations from the U.S. Attorney General, IRS, and FBI
With so much at stake, don’t wait another minute to get the help you need. Contact us today to get started with a confidential consultation.